Yes, Windows Defender is antispyware and not a full antivirus.
Here is what I use and recommend : (These are all Free versions and very effective.)
Avast and Prevx have proven extremely reliable and compatible with everything I have
thrown at them.
Microsoft Security Essentials and Prevx have also proven to be very
reliable and compatible.
Use MSE and Prevx or Avast and Prevx however not all 3.
Avast Home Free - stop any shields you do not need except leave Standard, Web, and
Prevx - Home - Free
Windows Defender (not needed if using MSE)
IE - Protected Mode
IE 8 - SmartScreen Filter ON (IE 7 Phishing Filter)
I also have IE to always start with InPrivate Filter active if IE 8.
(You occasionally have to turn it temporarily off with the little Icon on LEFT of the + bottom
right of IE)
Two versions of Avast are available 6.x and 4.8x
Avast 6.x - Home - Free - Stop the Shields you do not use (except File, Web, Network, &
Behavior) - double click the Orange Icon in Notification Area - Real Time Shields - click the
Shield you want to stop - STOP.
To stop the Orange Icon from showing an error indicator -
click the Orange Icon - Upper Right - Settings - click Status Bar - uncheck the Shields you
disabled - click OK
Avast 4.8x - Home - Free - stop any shields you do not need except leave Standard, Web,
and Network running.
(Double Click Blue icon - details next to OK.
- upper left Shields -
Terminate those you do not use.)
Or use Microsoft Security Essentials - Free
Prevx works well along side Avast or MSE
Prevx - Home - Free small, fast, exceptional CLOUD protection, works with other security
This is a scanner only, VERY EFFECTIVE, if it finds something come back here
or use Google to see how to remove.
http://www.prevx.com/ <-- information
http://info.prevx.com/downloadcsi.asp <-- download
PCmag - Prevx - Editor'a Choice
Also get Malwarebytes - free - use as scanner only.
If you ever suspect malware, and that
would be unsual with Avast and Prevx running except for an occasional low level cookie
(no big deal), UPDATE it and then run it as a scanner.
I have many scanners and they
never find anything of note since I started using this setup.
Hope this helps.
Reboot the computer
You were playing a game when suddenly an error message popped up? You can try to reboot your laptop to see if this error could be a glitch. Many errors can be fixed by a simple restart as it is not impossible that the system malfunctions after long-time working. What it needs is just a break and a reboot. If you can't reboot it normally, you can force reboot it.
Reinstall your Operating System
The ultimate solution for error: Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender? is to reinstall Windows. This removes all unwanted application that is causing problems, erases adware and other malware, clears out junk files and so on.
A Windows disc is needed for old versions of Windows, but Windows 8 has a built in Refresh option that makes the job easy. Bring up the Charms bar on the right side of the screen and click Settings, Change PC settings. Click Update and recovery, then Recovery. Under Refresh your system without affecting your files, click Get started.
Personal files - photos, music and documents - are kept, so it isn't a complete refresh, but it's may be enough for most people. A more powerful option is Remove everything and reinstall Windows. Copy files you want to keep to a USB disk before starting though.
Still didn't fix it? Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender?
How to Fix Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender? with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer. Open it, and it will scan your system. The junk files will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.
3. The Fixing part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed.
What People Say: (About Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender?)
by Guadalupe Delgado Sep.23rd
- [Solution] decreased cpu perfomance in normal mode.
- Solution to Error: Dell E6410 and Windows 8.1 - black sreen after sleeping mode
- Troubleshooting: Delighted, but mystified and seeking to know: why did my links in Word docs update automatically when I changed the Path name of the Target Document?
- [Solution] Don't like Explorer 9 can I hide it from updating?
- do i need to install a new driver if i have no sound
- Troubleshooter of Error: Desktop goes black and works only in safe mode
- User Guide to: Display issue opening multiple instances of Word 2007
- [Answered] driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and unable to start Windows.
- Disappearing microsoft office
- User Guide to: Downloading apps from the store error 0x80072f8f.
- Troubleshooting: Disk Management from within Computer Management freezes when activated Error
- [Answered] Driver Detecting Software
- Troubleshooter of Error: Disapy Locked Cells in a Spreadsheet
- How Can I Fix - DiskPart shows a discrepancy between "Current Read-only State" and "Read-only" lines which prevent me from formatting a USB flash drive.?
- Dell Zino HD with Windows 8.1 won't boot up [Answered]
- How to Fix Problem - difference gain.,realized gain and total return?
- Troubleshooting: Does Ready Boost temporarily slow down 3D games? Error
- does anyone have the problem of getting kicked off windows using netgear and verizon
- [Answered] DATA VALIDATION
- [Answered] does windows 7 have a budget plan
- Problem with App Store After Installing Windows 8.1 Latest Update
- Fast Solution to Problem: I cant see the installed apps during the updates from window 8 pro to windows 8.1
- How to Fix Problem - How to use the windowsimagebackup by an external disk.Having also to deal with 0xc0000225 error!?
- How to Resolve - Program update was made to windows hotmail and now Im unable to send, forward mail, or open contact list?
- LOGO.AVI NOT FOUND..L. [Solved]
- How Can You Fix - I want to learn language program?
- [Answered] Windows Live Hotmail issues around 11:00 a.m. CDT
- what style is best to use for an outline of three or four levels, first one is 1., then (a), then (i), etc. [Solved]
- Tech Support: Excel Pie chart help needed
- My macro buttons disappear when I open an excel 2003 worksheet in excel 2007. Is there a solution to this?
- How to Fix Error - Internet Explorer stops responding and restarts itself for no reason.?
- Fast Solution to Error: Windows 7 showing kernelbase.dll.mui corrupted
- Troubleshooting: Microsoft Flight simulator X Joystick Problem Error
- Cannot perform Defragmentation, get error.
- How Can You Fix - Copy and paste WITH formatting?
- Troubleshooting: Error Message 0X80010108
- Troubleshooting: Every time I get an update from microsoft, the date and time are changed in Windows 7 Error
- How to Fix - Excel 2007 will auto navigate to last cell?
- [Solved] How do I create a formula to count by column
- How Can I Fix - Webpages look differently in internet explorer 9?