Yes, Windows Defender is antispyware and not a full antivirus.
Here is what I use and recommend : (These are all Free versions and very effective.)
Avast and Prevx have proven extremely reliable and compatible with everything I have
thrown at them.
Microsoft Security Essentials and Prevx have also proven to be very
reliable and compatible.
Use MSE and Prevx or Avast and Prevx however not all 3.
Avast Home Free - stop any shields you do not need except leave Standard, Web, and
Prevx - Home - Free
Windows Defender (not needed if using MSE)
IE - Protected Mode
IE 8 - SmartScreen Filter ON (IE 7 Phishing Filter)
I also have IE to always start with InPrivate Filter active if IE 8.
(You occasionally have to turn it temporarily off with the little Icon on LEFT of the + bottom
right of IE)
Two versions of Avast are available 6.x and 4.8x
Avast 6.x - Home - Free - Stop the Shields you do not use (except File, Web, Network, &
Behavior) - double click the Orange Icon in Notification Area - Real Time Shields - click the
Shield you want to stop - STOP.
To stop the Orange Icon from showing an error indicator -
click the Orange Icon - Upper Right - Settings - click Status Bar - uncheck the Shields you
disabled - click OK
Avast 4.8x - Home - Free - stop any shields you do not need except leave Standard, Web,
and Network running.
(Double Click Blue icon - details next to OK.
- upper left Shields -
Terminate those you do not use.)
Or use Microsoft Security Essentials - Free
Prevx works well along side Avast or MSE
Prevx - Home - Free small, fast, exceptional CLOUD protection, works with other security
This is a scanner only, VERY EFFECTIVE, if it finds something come back here
or use Google to see how to remove.
http://www.prevx.com/ <-- information
http://info.prevx.com/downloadcsi.asp <-- download
PCmag - Prevx - Editor'a Choice
Also get Malwarebytes - free - use as scanner only.
If you ever suspect malware, and that
would be unsual with Avast and Prevx running except for an occasional low level cookie
(no big deal), UPDATE it and then run it as a scanner.
I have many scanners and they
never find anything of note since I started using this setup.
Hope this helps.
Restore file related to the problem Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender? from Recycle Bin
Do not delete files which you have no idea what they are unless you are a geek. If you or your family members have deleted a file related to the error Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender?, you can restore it from the recycle bin. But if you have already emptied your Recycle Bin, you can use a free data recovery software to recover the related file. This method works only if this file worked normally before you delete it.
Remove malware in your computer system - Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender?
It's possible that your error may be caused by a system malware in your desktop. Those PC malware can damage, modify or even remove your files like Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender?. Moreover, it's also possible that this Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender? problem is fabricated by the malware to frighten and coax you into purchasing its fake products. You can download an anti-virus utility to wipe them out. I recommend Norton. I have used it for over ten years and I know it can also help you.
Recommended Solution to Fix This Error: Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender?
How to Fix Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender? with SmartPCFixer?
1. Download SmartPCFixer. Install it on your system.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. When the Fixing part is done, your computer has been speeded up and the errors have been removed
What People Say: (About Do I need to stop other anti-malware s/w if I use Windows Defender?)
by Jacob Fox Oct.4th
- [Anwsered] DaemonProcess.exe message has changed.It now says: this program can't start because QtNetwork4.dll is missing from your computer.
- [Anwsered] Data Tables Across Different Sheets
- Delete module in VBA Excel ? [Solved]
- Deleted wrong copy of duplicate address in Live Mail [Anwsered]
- [Solved] DEP is always reported disabled every time I run Microsoft Fixit for IE
- [Anwsered] Desktop Problem: Cannot move my icons suddenly
- [Solved] Difference between CAN (campus area network) and Lan (Local Area Network)
- Difference between Range and Region? [Anwsered]
- [Solution] Difficult Excel Problem - I can change the title once I know what it should be
- disk read error - can't boot but repair install doesn't find errors [Solved]
- DNS issues since upgrading to 8.1 [Solved]
- [Solution] Does a HP Officejet 100 printer have an ink waste bottle to empty?
- Does sudden turn off electricity affect windows [Solved]
- How to Fix - Does the system failure to defrag effect the failure to back up??
- Solution to Error: Download Offline Map using mobile Data Pack
- How to Resolve - Downloading USA itunes 64 bit?
- Solution to Error: DPF Mate - Digital Photo Frame Issue
- [Solved] Drag and Drop in Excel
- [Anwsered] driver_power_state_failure - WIn 8 keeps restarting 1x a day
- [Solved] During System Restore from an earlier date, my external HD that was inadvertenly left on is now somehow corrupted
- Error message when attempting to install a software
- Solution to Error: Ethernet Drivers for Intel 965 Chip sets...
- How can I put the image file to excel by drag and drop?? [Anwsered]
- How do I set the Cursor position for a specific line in centimetres for Office 2010 like 2003? [Solved]
- [Solution] How do I uninstall IE 9 ?
- [Solved] How do you use the "divide" function on the Windows-7 Calculator? There is every other function, such as "+, -, x" but NO "divide-symbol"!!!
- How to Fix - I have a question about Error message Oxc0150004?
- How to Fix - i have windows 7 pro 64 bit on my hp computer can i change it to xp safely??
- [Solution] In Word 2010, only a few images are replaced with placeholder
- Interner exployer stops working when trying to send attachments [Solved]
- [Anwsered] IP adress conflict,results in wifi disconnect.What is causing network problem
- Solution to Error: Multi level list promote/demote , TOC does'nt capture
- My laptop power cord was jerked from the wall while I was on the internet. When I tried to get back onto the internet, it was displaying the "Windows Explorer" message that it was unable to display the webpage. [Solved]
- [Solved] Problem Booting with Multiple Monitors
- [Solution] What can I do to manage the cpu problem?
- How to Fix - When clicking on the Interent Explorer shortcut I get an Error message "Unable to open this shortctut"?
- [Solution] When closing MSN Explorer with Windows 7, the Sign Out & Close MSN Explorer Software screen doesn't appear.
- Windows 7 Explorer.exe not starting when I boot my PC up. VOL.2 [Solved]
- How to Resolve - Windows 7 PCs unable to connect to Lion Server's file shares?
- Solution to Error: Windows 7, Windows Media Player 12 will not open